Maths in Term 1
This term, we are focussing on number, addition and subtraction: understanding 1,000 and looking at reading, writing and calculating with four-digit numbers.
Our key teaching points are:
Times Tables Rock Stars Website Link
What can parents do to support learning at home?
- Ensure children are secure with their times table knowledge up to 12x12. This supports understanding in so many areas of maths.
- Practise quick recall of number bonds to 10, 20 and 100 - the more confident they are with this, the better!
- Help children to secure their written methods of calculation (please follow the schools calculation policy for this).
- Practise multiplying and dividing by 10, 100 and 1000 using knowledge of place value (place value grids can help with this).
- Ensure children are secure and confident with telling the time to the nearest minute - both on analogue and digital clocks.
- Use directions in a real-life environment - when you are travelling by car, using GPS to get to a location, reading road signs and maps.
- Use measurements in real-life situations such as weighing ingredients when cooking and baking.
- Play a game of battle ships to help with the reading of co-ordinates.
Year 4 Term 1 KIRFs.pdf
Here are some fun times tables games for you to play!
Times Table Board Game 2 5 and 10.docx
Times Table Board Game 3 and 4.docx
Times Table Board Game 6 and 8.docx
Times Table Board Game 7 and 9.docx
Times Table Board Game 11 and 12.docx
Other Useful Maths Websites
The websites below may be useful to help you practise and secure some different mathematical concepts. Use the games and information pages to develop your understanding, support your arithmetic skills, or just to have some fun with Maths!
Studyzone Videos and games to help boost your maths skills
BBC Bitesize Videos, step-by-step guides, activities and quizzes
Topmarks Interactive resources, homework, exam and revision help
NRICH Reasoning tasks
Emaths Example assessment papers